Sunday, October 16, 2011

Didn’t run today...

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to participate in today’s 2011 Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I was too weak-kneed. Literally -- I was sidelined by some kind of knee strain. On the heel-strike my left knee feels super-dubious. I decided to pass.

I had planned to run in the half. But sometimes you just have to wait it out. It’s frustrating, but I’d rather wait a few weeks than injure myself permanently -- knees are pretty important for running. There’s a never-ending shortage of races; it’s not like the Olympics or anything.

I miss running culture. Even though I knew I wasn’t going to run, I picked up my race kit yesterday since there was a “no refunds” policy -- might as well get the shirt I paid for, I figured.

An imposter hoists the trophy aloft...

Ed Whitlock was speaking, showing off some pictures of his early running career. He’s 80 years old -- and he set a world record for his age group at today’s event, finishing in 3:15:54.

3:15!! Ten years ago I aspired to hit 3:30 (never did). Sheesh.

Fauja Singh set a world record too -- for the 100+ age group. It took him over 8 hours. Can you imagine exerting yourself over 8 hours? That’s like an army march. Gruelling in a different way.

It’s inspiring. Though I didn’t run today, I will have to take their examples to heart and do at least another marathon eventually. A half in the spring, then we’ll see what happens... Happily there’s a major Toronto marathon in the spring now.